MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.
  1. Properly address the void to Arts and Culture in Barrie created by terminating the lease of Georgian College Theatre.

Recently City of Barrie terminated its lease with Georgian College Theatre, which effectively turned its back on many key performing arts groups in the area. This leaves NO reasonable performance space in Barrie till at least 2025/2026 when Fisher Auditorium redux is anticipated for completion.

Engage with the key stakeholders, the arts organizations of Barrie, to facilitate a more thoughtful and robust solution.

167 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The exiting of the Georgian College Theatre lease was a recommendation submitted to Council in response to the theatre space becoming unsafe for use and requiring significant investment in a fiscally challenging year, coupled with ongoing uncertainty created by the COVID-related gathering restrictions. It’s believed that this decision will allow all parties to refocus energy and resources in support of the need for a proper theatre that will be built with future needs embedded in its design.

Staff are committed to working with the arts and culture community in the interim to leverage existing spaces and facilities to provide performance space. In response to Council direction regarding the 2021 budget and the future of the Fisher Project, staff have begun outreach regarding options that might be available to help support user groups. Interim solutions will be developed and full engagement with artistic and cultural groups will take place.

With…

2. Snow removal needed on 'cut throughs' from Windsor Crescent and Kennsington Trail to Hewitt's Creek PS

There are two 'cut throughs' from Windsor Crescent and Kennsington Trail to Hewitt's Creek school that are used by a lot of children and adults each day. During the Winter these were treacherous and my own children slipped and fell many times (especially when it turned to ice). I am not sure why there are barriers up that would prevent the small side street snow plough from clearing this pathway. However, I really feel that this should be cleared by the city as a priority for school access.

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On May 10, 2021, City Council approved the following motion regarding the investigation of maintenance of pedestrian walkways:

“That staff in the Operations Department investigate the current interconnected walkway system in the City to address resident safety and accessibility concerns, and the feasibility of facilitating both the summer and winter maintenance to increase pedestrian year-round access and report back to Accessibility Advisory Committee.”

Learn about the Accessibility Advisory Committee: http://bit.ly/2JpH9JC

Staff are determining multiple options for consideration. When the report is available, an update will be posted within this forum.

Related Links:

• Council & Committees: https://www.barrie.ca/committees
    • Legislative Information Portal: https://barrie.legistar.com

3. Defund the Barrie Police

Over the last 30 years we have continuosly taken money from places like education, homelessness and mental health support in order to fund and properly train our police force. Look at what is has gotten us, police are forced to deal with all of these areas now since we have neglected them for so long. We need to re-invest in our education, and especially mental health support and allow the people trained to help, help. This idea of having super police isn't the answer, just look at conviction rates from 1996 until now. Numbers have gone down from almost 90%…

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Holly Community ~ Holly Park; updates, splash pad, skate/bike/scooter park? use the rarely used back parking lot.

Ive seen similar ideas, however i felt i needed to add to and include my own input.

south-west barrie needs a splash pad, skate/bike/scooter park (like Lampman lane), and updates/upgrades. Over the past few years residing in the Holly community, Ive noticed on a regular occasion that the rear parking lot is rarely if ever used. This area would be perfect to create this splash pad and skate park.

As per the rear soccer field (by the play structures). ~ i have a suggestion to add a running track surrounding it (400m?). there is an un-maintained trail surrrounding the rear…

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dog Park in North End Barrie

I understand that the City of Barrie has TWO allocated parks for dogs, one at Mapleview and one at Sunnidale. Due to the lack of availability for a park closer to the north end, I am asking and hoping that counsel will bring forward a motion to provide at least TWO more dog parks for residents in the City of Barrie. Barrie is a huge city and it would be a great idea to service the HUGE dog population that resides within in that is safe for residents.

Thank you!

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop the police from beating up kids

The police shouldn't be able to beat kids, or anyone else for that matter, like a dictator. Used to think Canada was better than this but I guess a gang with a badge is the same on either side of the border. Disgusting.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have the bus fare payable via Debit/Credit tap as well as change

Have the bus fare payable via Debit/Credit tap as well as change. Most vending machines have this why don't our buses? Especially useful during the pandemic.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. The City should not approve a "TORONTO" type signage for the Meridian Place park.

Even if Councillor McCann believes he can raise funds to build it, the City and taxpayers will have to operate and maintain it. The $150,000 estimated it would cost should be put toward arts and culture in the City, where the entire community can become engaged. How about putting it toward the Georgian College Theatre?

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Close Dunlop Street totally for summer.

Extending larger patios onto the road giving downtown businesses a chance to recoup some lost revenue.
    When the cottage traffic diverts through Dunlop Street in Summer. Its
    Noisy, Dangerous and the pollution emitted is offputting.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Diversity

On Barrie.ca website, click on Living. On the photo carousel the second photo shows 4 kids that I am sure makes a lot of Barrie's residents feel like they don't belong here. Please show diversity in the photos that you use on barrie.ca. If every one in Barrie was white-skin with blue-eyes maybe it would have been fine to see just that in the photos of our city's website. But that's not the case anymore. Barrie is a lot more diverse now.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bus stops equipment.

There are many bus stops that are not pedestrian friendly. Example the stop 700 at Welington plaza. That stop doesn’t have any pathway to the bus. People have to enter the bus through the newly seeded “green” area. During the rain or snow it is a mess. The problem can be solutioned by placing the appropriate cement boarding platform. There are many bus stops like that around the city, where people have to guess where is bus stop and jump over the mud and dust. I want a better public transportation service in Barrie, so it could be an alternative…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The concrete solid landing surface at stop #700 was removed as part of the nearby Anne Street bridge reconstruction; the concrete pad will be reinstalled as part of site rehabilitation.

Regarding bus stops in general, Transit staff are currently in the process of building a Bus Stop Infrastructure Improvement Plan, in line with the Transit Vision Project. With the service improvements that will come with the Transit Vision Project, extensive bus stop infrastructure improvements will be looked at for all bus stops throughout Barrie.

Learn more about the Transit Vision Project: https://www.buildingbarrie.ca/transitvision

12. Create a Crokicurl rink.

A new sport that mixes the idea of crokinole and curling first founded in Manitoba.
    https://www.theforks.com/blog/68/crokicurl-how-to Here are details.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Implement wheel bins for automated trash, organic and recycling.

Coming from Quebec, where these bins are used exclusively. It is far more efficient, requiring less manual manipulation of trash,as well as easy to enforce limits on collection. Cleaner, easier storage for residents, and less risk of illegal dumping, or ripped torn bags during collection.

These are already implemented with great success in several jurisdictions in Ontario, such as Toronto, and coming soon to the rest of simcoe, it only makes sense for Barrie to progress with rest of modern society as it pertains to waste management.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ban 3rd suites in back yards

Investors are building a third suite on many of the smaller homes on the property which is essentially a second smaller one or two bedroom home on the same lot in the backyard. These units were approved by Doug Ford for all of Ontario essentially to provide affordable housing. However, these units are anything but affordable. The increase in population density for an already density high area will put the old infrastructure under stress which affects all current housing in the area. Second suites had been restricted to the "as needed" areas surrounding the college but those restriction have been…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Intro vaccine passports for Rec centre participation

I suggest that vaccine passports be required for Rec Centre use. With unvaccinated participation , health measures often require capacity levels to be reduced to much lower levels. With 75 percent and growing already vaccinated, Vaccine passports would increase confidence and more spaces for participation at the centres .

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Stop using the Barrie Advance to distribute the City of Barrie Calendar

The Barrie Advance can not guarantee to the door delivery and for most of us only get it thrown on our driveways.
    I have had to stop delivery because I have someone clear the snow from my driveway and I do not want these haphazardly thrown newspapers wrecking their equipment.
    Can the city switch delivery methods? Hire a charity to deliver the calendars or use (I hate to say it) Canada Post.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Recreational Trail - Barrie Collingwood Railway

Repurpose the old tracks that are costing taxpayers money into a recreational trail that can run from Barrie and Collingwood connecting two of the best lifestyle cities. The trail can be for walking/running, biking and snowmobiling. It’s not feasible to keep these tracks operational unless the small amount of business’ using them contribute to the running costs. Transit is already being looked after through existing future projects so a recreational trail here would be the best option. There aren’t enough tourists/commuters going from Barrie to Collingwood to justify transit implementation.

Recreational trail would be the best thing for our city!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Prioritize Walkability Along Bradford Street

As new developments sprout up along Bradford street, we have the opportunity to grow downtown and to encourage the kind of diversity and inclusivity that Barrie is so proud of.
    By requiring developers to create live edges along the street, with small-scale retail, and priority for pedestians and cyclists we can create room for small businesses to flourish and ensure that the people who live in the surrounding communities are included in barries future prosperity.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The City is embarking on planning for our future and creating a new Official Plan in Barrie. The updated Official Plan will improve our city by embracing leading practices, forward-thinking approaches and community priorities. The key themes of Barrie’s New Official Plan are:

• Urban & Complete City
    • Attractive City
    • Connected & Mobile City
    • Waterfront & Green City
    • Resilient City
    • Prosperous City
    • Cultural City

This week, the City released draft two of the City’s new Official Plan is welcoming public feedback and engagement over the next month.

Please review draft Official Plan to see if the policy structure matches your vision for Barrie, and consider participating in the May 19th Open House and/or the June 2nd Public Meeting.

Details: https://bit.ly/3uw6mKM

19. Restrict on street parking longer than 3 hour

parking is out control and needs to be controlled lots of cars park for weeks without moving because their owners find the streets better than using their driveway

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Increase the frequency on Barrie Transit’s Route 2

The city has recently brought back the regular service of the Barrie Transit routes 1, 6, 8, and 100. However, they failed to see one bus that is either always busy, or is always late. 2B is late to the bus terminal almost every single day from 12pm- 5pm. I have to leave my house 30 minutes earlier to take another bus because I know if I try to take the 2B to work, I will be late. Also, it doesn’t help that once the bus reaches the terminal, even if it’s 20 minutes late, the bus driver still needs…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base