MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.
  1. Properly address the void to Arts and Culture in Barrie created by terminating the lease of Georgian College Theatre.

Recently City of Barrie terminated its lease with Georgian College Theatre, which effectively turned its back on many key performing arts groups in the area. This leaves NO reasonable performance space in Barrie till at least 2025/2026 when Fisher Auditorium redux is anticipated for completion.

Engage with the key stakeholders, the arts organizations of Barrie, to facilitate a more thoughtful and robust solution.

163 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The exiting of the Georgian College Theatre lease was a recommendation submitted to Council in response to the theatre space becoming unsafe for use and requiring significant investment in a fiscally challenging year, coupled with ongoing uncertainty created by the COVID-related gathering restrictions. It’s believed that this decision will allow all parties to refocus energy and resources in support of the need for a proper theatre that will be built with future needs embedded in its design.

Staff are committed to working with the arts and culture community in the interim to leverage existing spaces and facilities to provide performance space. In response to Council direction regarding the 2021 budget and the future of the Fisher Project, staff have begun outreach regarding options that might be available to help support user groups. Interim solutions will be developed and full engagement with artistic and cultural groups will take place.

With…

2. Snow removal needed on 'cut throughs' from Windsor Crescent and Kennsington Trail to Hewitt's Creek PS

There are two 'cut throughs' from Windsor Crescent and Kennsington Trail to Hewitt's Creek school that are used by a lot of children and adults each day. During the Winter these were treacherous and my own children slipped and fell many times (especially when it turned to ice). I am not sure why there are barriers up that would prevent the small side street snow plough from clearing this pathway. However, I really feel that this should be cleared by the city as a priority for school access.

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On May 10, 2021, City Council approved the following motion regarding the investigation of maintenance of pedestrian walkways:

“That staff in the Operations Department investigate the current interconnected walkway system in the City to address resident safety and accessibility concerns, and the feasibility of facilitating both the summer and winter maintenance to increase pedestrian year-round access and report back to Accessibility Advisory Committee.”

Learn about the Accessibility Advisory Committee: http://bit.ly/2JpH9JC

Staff are determining multiple options for consideration. When the report is available, an update will be posted within this forum.

Related Links:

• Council & Committees: https://www.barrie.ca/committees
    • Legislative Information Portal: https://barrie.legistar.com

3. Defund the Barrie Police

Over the last 30 years we have continuosly taken money from places like education, homelessness and mental health support in order to fund and properly train our police force. Look at what is has gotten us, police are forced to deal with all of these areas now since we have neglected them for so long. We need to re-invest in our education, and especially mental health support and allow the people trained to help, help. This idea of having super police isn't the answer, just look at conviction rates from 1996 until now. Numbers have gone down from almost 90%…

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stop the police from beating up kids

The police shouldn't be able to beat kids, or anyone else for that matter, like a dictator. Used to think Canada was better than this but I guess a gang with a badge is the same on either side of the border. Disgusting.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Have the bus fare payable via Debit/Credit tap as well as change

Have the bus fare payable via Debit/Credit tap as well as change. Most vending machines have this why don't our buses? Especially useful during the pandemic.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bus stops equipment.

There are many bus stops that are not pedestrian friendly. Example the stop 700 at Welington plaza. That stop doesn’t have any pathway to the bus. People have to enter the bus through the newly seeded “green” area. During the rain or snow it is a mess. The problem can be solutioned by placing the appropriate cement boarding platform. There are many bus stops like that around the city, where people have to guess where is bus stop and jump over the mud and dust. I want a better public transportation service in Barrie, so it could be an alternative…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The concrete solid landing surface at stop #700 was removed as part of the nearby Anne Street bridge reconstruction; the concrete pad will be reinstalled as part of site rehabilitation.

Regarding bus stops in general, Transit staff are currently in the process of building a Bus Stop Infrastructure Improvement Plan, in line with the Transit Vision Project. With the service improvements that will come with the Transit Vision Project, extensive bus stop infrastructure improvements will be looked at for all bus stops throughout Barrie.

Learn more about the Transit Vision Project: https://www.buildingbarrie.ca/transitvision

7. The City should not approve a "TORONTO" type signage for the Meridian Place park.

Even if Councillor McCann believes he can raise funds to build it, the City and taxpayers will have to operate and maintain it. The $150,000 estimated it would cost should be put toward arts and culture in the City, where the entire community can become engaged. How about putting it toward the Georgian College Theatre?

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Encourage residents to co-exist with urban wildlife

A majority of wildlife removal or "pest control" companies do not use ethical practices and leave people to believe that harmless species are a "nuisance" or that they "don't belong in cities".

I think many residents would like to have a reliable and humane way of handling their wildlife issues around the home and to know that their city promotes the humane treatment of all animals.

Having resources on the City's website and referrals to humane wildlife removal companies would help educate people on the proper way to co-exist with the animals we encroached on.

249 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    gathering feedback  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Restrict on street parking longer than 3 hour

parking is out control and needs to be controlled lots of cars park for weeks without moving because their owners find the streets better than using their driveway

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Change the Catherine park soccer field and make it as a water park for kids

Change the Catherine park soccer field and make it as a water park for kids. More water parks in the gta no one uses the soccer field at Catherine park

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Close Dunlop Street totally for summer.

Extending larger patios onto the road giving downtown businesses a chance to recoup some lost revenue.
    When the cottage traffic diverts through Dunlop Street in Summer. Its
    Noisy, Dangerous and the pollution emitted is offputting.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allocate 1-2 pet friendly beach areas/zones.

Whereas the citizens of the City of Barrie have been afforded such an expansive city shoreline within its limits, I hereby move that City Council allocate 1 entire pet friendly beach or in the alternative, two pet friendly areas/zones on existing beaches or parks with waterfront access (eg. Tollendale Park, Johnson’s Beach).
    Gord Nye (Barrie resident)

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A staff memo from the Engineering Department was circulated to City Council (General Committee) on January 7, 2019. The memo was in response to two previous suggestions on this forum: “Make Johnsons Beach a DOG FRIENDLY BEACH PARK” and “Open a waterfront dog park”. Please refer to the full memo: https://bit.ly/3129NN9 .

In short, “as per the recommendations of the 2013 Barrie Waterfront and Marina Strategic Plan, when the Gables 2008 Master Plan is updated, staff will revisit whether this park is a viable location for a dog water access beach.” An update to the Gables Master Plan is forecast for 2024.

13. Permanently pedestrianize Dunlop Street

As a city we lack spaces for pedestrians and with Dunlop being our main road though the heart of downtown, I feel could make for an excellent pedestrian mall (for those that don't know, a pedestrian mall is a street that is permanently closed off to motor traffic, and are found all over the world. From London, to even here in Canada). While the city has certainly done a good job at making it a nicer place (the recent redesign, closing it to vehicles on certain days in the summer). In my honest opinion it doesn't go far enough. I…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Moving bus stops to after intersections rather than right at the stop sign.

Several bus stops in east end are located right at stop signs of busy intersections( Johnson st has several). This causes a lot of back log in the area. It’s unsafe as some vehicles will attempt to pass the pulled over bus just as pedestrians are crossing after exiting the bus and it’s still pulled over. I feel that if these stops were moved to the other side of the intersection, it would improve both pedestrian safety and traffic flow.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Parking both sides of road

parking should not be allowed on both sides of street.it makes some streets a 1 lane road and is unsafe because of speed of some cars

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bring Presto to busses

The goal of a good transit is to be affordable, frequent and easy to use, none of which are true for Barrie, despite it's size and rapid growth. While our city modernizes and grows, our transit remains antiquated, requiring now for people to buy scratch-off paper cards that easily get destroyed just from keeping in a wallet.

A presto card will allow riding to be more convenient, allowing for an automatic renewal for monthly passes (no more waiting in line at the beginning of the month) and allows for an auto-loading feature for those who infrequently travel. Barrie also benefits…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Dog Park in North End Barrie

I understand that the City of Barrie has TWO allocated parks for dogs, one at Mapleview and one at Sunnidale. Due to the lack of availability for a park closer to the north end, I am asking and hoping that counsel will bring forward a motion to provide at least TWO more dog parks for residents in the City of Barrie. Barrie is a huge city and it would be a great idea to service the HUGE dog population that resides within in that is safe for residents.

Thank you!

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Downtown parking a hazard for the disabled

Even if I park my car as close to the metal parking posts (eg. near Homestead’s Bakery), the width of the parking lane doesn’t afford me enough space to assemble or transfer into my manual wheelchair at my car door. You should see the angle I’m on, trying to safely transfer.
    I’m not sure what can be done at this point that isn’t cost prohibitive, but please do more for the disabled in any future developments please. Thank You 🙏

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. North Trail needs repairs due to washed out areas

I use a hand cycle which is a three-wheel cycle. I’m also a paraplegic. I cycle the North Trail daily and I try to use the highest area of the trail to avoid the washed out areas (around any bend in the gravel trail, the inner diameter suffers the most erosion), but many oncoming walkers, families, ppl with dogs, etc take over a wide swath of the trail and are not considerate to the danger I have if forced to cycle near the erosion. I could easily fall into the lake! Please pay close attention to this. Not just for…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Create a ‘Children’s Play Area’ just outside the south Barrie Dog Park. Families can keep all members happy!

A Children’s Play Area just outside the south Barrie Dog Park would allow all members of a family to be occupied. I have noticed kids are ready to go way before the dogs are. After a walk together the children could play on the equipment & the dogs could still run in the fenced in open area.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base