MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.
  1. Look at the damage that Comorov birds are doing to the trees along the waterfront between Johnson beach and Lak house. Trees are dying

We need the city to go in a boat and view the damage to the trees. There is also an area across the lake. They are a large group of birds and in Orillia they decimated an entire island. Don’t know how to get rid of Comoros but we need to investigate before too much damage is done

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Holly Community ~ Holly Park; updates, splash pad, skate/bike/scooter park? use the rarely used back parking lot.

Ive seen similar ideas, however i felt i needed to add to and include my own input.

south-west barrie needs a splash pad, skate/bike/scooter park (like Lampman lane), and updates/upgrades. Over the past few years residing in the Holly community, Ive noticed on a regular occasion that the rear parking lot is rarely if ever used. This area would be perfect to create this splash pad and skate park.

As per the rear soccer field (by the play structures). ~ i have a suggestion to add a running track surrounding it (400m?). there is an un-maintained trail surrrounding the rear…

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. free hop on, hop off bus

In order to get people from the beaches to the downtown AND to allow current residents greater ease accessing the city without using their car or having to walk in bad weather has anyone ever considered the use of free hop on, hop off buses? the bus would loop around from points near the beach to the tall condos along Toronto st/ lakeshore. stopping off at major points all along the downtown going as far as Berczy st at the edge of the intensification corridor. you can hop/off at random, hitting any area you want or stay on until you…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Intro vaccine passports for Rec centre participation

I suggest that vaccine passports be required for Rec Centre use. With unvaccinated participation , health measures often require capacity levels to be reduced to much lower levels. With 75 percent and growing already vaccinated, Vaccine passports would increase confidence and more spaces for participation at the centres .

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Implement wheel bins for automated trash, organic and recycling.

Coming from Quebec, where these bins are used exclusively. It is far more efficient, requiring less manual manipulation of trash,as well as easy to enforce limits on collection. Cleaner, easier storage for residents, and less risk of illegal dumping, or ripped torn bags during collection.

These are already implemented with great success in several jurisdictions in Ontario, such as Toronto, and coming soon to the rest of simcoe, it only makes sense for Barrie to progress with rest of modern society as it pertains to waste management.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Red light cameras.

As a daily walker I've witnessed an increase in vehicles running solid red lights over the last 6 months. Specifically Burton traffic at Burton and Millburn, and Lakeshore drive traffic at the Allendale GO entrance. I'm surprised I haven't heard reports of an increase in pedestrians being hit in the area near the lakeshore, given the increases in both pedestrian and vehicle traffic in this area since the beginning of covid lockdowns last year.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Raise the Flags

Time to clean up the Spirit Catcher, and raise our flags to full mast again. We have all been through a lot, there is great healing to go through, and in the spirit of strength, hope, and unity, we need to start establishing morale in our community. Sometimes, the more we draw attention to wrongs of our past, the more indefinite the division grows. It’s time to restore our horizon of positivity and light.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Downtown parking a hazard for the disabled

Even if I park my car as close to the metal parking posts (eg. near Homestead’s Bakery), the width of the parking lane doesn’t afford me enough space to assemble or transfer into my manual wheelchair at my car door. You should see the angle I’m on, trying to safely transfer.
    I’m not sure what can be done at this point that isn’t cost prohibitive, but please do more for the disabled in any future developments please. Thank You 🙏

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. North Trail needs repairs due to washed out areas

I use a hand cycle which is a three-wheel cycle. I’m also a paraplegic. I cycle the North Trail daily and I try to use the highest area of the trail to avoid the washed out areas (around any bend in the gravel trail, the inner diameter suffers the most erosion), but many oncoming walkers, families, ppl with dogs, etc take over a wide swath of the trail and are not considerate to the danger I have if forced to cycle near the erosion. I could easily fall into the lake! Please pay close attention to this. Not just for…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Your concern regarding the condition of the North Shore Trail has reached Service Barrie and a service request has been created so Operations staff can look into this. To follow up on the status, please contact Service Barrie directly at 705-726-4242 or ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca and reference SR96809.

10. Create a ‘Children’s Play Area’ just outside the south Barrie Dog Park. Families can keep all members happy!

A Children’s Play Area just outside the south Barrie Dog Park would allow all members of a family to be occupied. I have noticed kids are ready to go way before the dogs are. After a walk together the children could play on the equipment & the dogs could still run in the fenced in open area.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Update accessibility in the downtown core so all citizens can enjoy them. At least 75% of stores have steps in front of or directly inside t

Update accessibility in the downtown core so all citizens can enjoy. At least 75% of the stores on main Street are inaccessible to wheelchairs due to steps before or directly inside the store. I understand there is a grandfather clause for older building but there are options to address this.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Close Dunlop St (no cars) Friday to Sunday evening

The traffic is quite heavy on Sunday evenings over the summer as people return from the north & the patios are not comfortable with all the traffic.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Create bylaw for repeat lawn maintenance violations to allow city to contract seasonal lawn care & and add cost to that property's taxes

With more of our homes being converted into investment rentals this would help reduce deterioration of our neighbourhoods by absentee landlords. In some neighbourhoods it seems every 4th lawn is overgrown and in violation of the bylaw. If such a bylaw is not possible, perhaps fines could be increased for repeat violations, especially for absentee landlords.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Moving bus stops to after intersections rather than right at the stop sign.

Several bus stops in east end are located right at stop signs of busy intersections( Johnson st has several). This causes a lot of back log in the area. It’s unsafe as some vehicles will attempt to pass the pulled over bus just as pedestrians are crossing after exiting the bus and it’s still pulled over. I feel that if these stops were moved to the other side of the intersection, it would improve both pedestrian safety and traffic flow.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Transit staff look at far side stops more often now than in the past. Staff recognize that these stops can increase pedestrian safety and reduce traffic-related issues. However, depending on the location it is not always easy to relocate a bus stop from a near sided bus stop to a far side bus stop.

We have made this change to two bus stops along Johnson Street: Bus Stop #414 (now NE of Johnson and Steel) and Bus Stop #409 (now NE of Johnson and Grove).

Transit staff are currently working on a bus stop infrastructure study and looking at where the City can create more far sided stops throughout Barrie, when feasible, will be part of that study.

15. Bring Presto to busses

The goal of a good transit is to be affordable, frequent and easy to use, none of which are true for Barrie, despite it's size and rapid growth. While our city modernizes and grows, our transit remains antiquated, requiring now for people to buy scratch-off paper cards that easily get destroyed just from keeping in a wallet.

A presto card will allow riding to be more convenient, allowing for an automatic renewal for monthly passes (no more waiting in line at the beginning of the month) and allows for an auto-loading feature for those who infrequently travel. Barrie also benefits…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. provide the opportunity for people to enrol in swimming lessons on the guarded beaches in the summer months.

Many other municipalities offer swimming lessons at their beach fronts during the summer months. With pools closed or limited this would be a way to provide this service to the families of barrie. Life guardes are already slated for the beaches. Lessons could be offered in the morning hours freeing the beaches up in the afternoons for swimming. This would help to ensure children are learning water safety and how to swim. The city already has qualified instructors that could provide this service and the program would either be self supporting or in fact be a revenue generator. I have…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Seagulls

There should be signs at the beaches telling people not to feed the seagulls, they swarm in droves and bother everyone.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Limit electric scooters/bikes to roads not sidewalks

Progressive cities are concerned that pedestrians are at risk from electric scooters/bikes travelling on sidewalks. Pedestrians walking around Kempenfelt Bay need to dodge these vehicles, some traveling at 50kph. Serious injury or death will lead to tragedy and lawsuits against the city.

The city of Paris, France, has banned these vehicles from sidewalks. They must travel on roads.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Change the Catherine park soccer field and make it as a water park for kids

Change the Catherine park soccer field and make it as a water park for kids. More water parks in the gta no one uses the soccer field at Catherine park

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. More splash pads locations

We need more splash pads in the area
    We should have one near Catherine park or somewhere close to that area

3 votes
    Vote