I suggest the City ...

Weekly garbage pick up in summer months.

During summer heat it is utterly disgusting to have to keep garbage around for two weeks. The smell, maggots, flies and rodents are health issue. Simply adding weekly garbage pick up for July and August would be help.

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminCity of Barrie (Admin, City of Barrie) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every-other-week garbage collection was approved by Council on September 30, 2013, under Motion 13-G-233.

Effective January 12, 2015, Barrie households serviced under the City of Barrie municipal curbside collection program received two-bag or two-can garbage pickup every other week; unlimited organics and recycling continue to be picked up weekly.

The changes to curbside collection were part of Barrie’s Sustainable Waste Management Strategy (http://bit.ly/2FA5MTX), an action plan for effective, efficient and responsible change to our waste collection, diversion and disposal systems over a 20-year period.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HJ Syf. Your family of one is different with a family of 4 that might have a baby

• HJ Syf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it rather difficult to fill up a small grocery bag of garbage when our family recycles, green bins, and yard wastes everything properly.

Joe people do recycle. The landfill doesn’t affect our water and in fact has years left. Laziness? How often do the garbage man not pick up
    Items because they’re “too heavy” or “not sorted correctly” despite the heavy taxes we pay

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

try recycling for a change.. individuals should visit a landfill site to get a better understanding of what is making its way down to our water supply. I'm not a tree hugger just merely a resident that can't wrap his head around the laziness of people when it comes to garbage.

• Jason Chobotiuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a family of four. I was definitely concerned with the bi weekly pick up. I realize now when utilizing the green bin and or compost we actual struggle to have one can of garbage. The bi weekly pick up was a great idea and a great example of our city implementing lessons learnt from other cities.

• AdminCity of Barrie (Moderator, City of Barrie) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aside from pet waste, most garbage materials should not attract pests. Most items that attract maggots belong in the green bin, which is collected weekly. Check out the City's helpful lookup tool to determine if an item can be diverted from your household garbage (and Barrie's landfill): www.barrie.ca/WhereDoesItGo

Also please note that from May 1 – October 31 annually, Barrie residents can dispose a maximum of 2 clear bags of diapers per week at the landfill (max weight 20kg/bag) at no charge. www.barrie.ca/landfill

Organics pick up is every week. If you used that then you wouldn't have any issues with smell or maggots.

Feedback and Knowledge Base