I suggest the City ...

Offer FREE membership for Seniors over 65 at Barrie Recreation Centres

Offering free memberships to seniors over the age of 65 at all Barrie Recreation Centres would encourage them to be more physically and mentally active which would in turn improve their health. This would help reduce doctor visit, hospital visits, combat obesity rates, reduce diabetes, and have an overall improvement in the lives of seniors who may feel isolated. So many seniors are on a fixed income and cannot afford to pay the membership fees every year. If they had a place to go associate with other seniors that was free, they would get out more to exercise and have something to look forward to. Designated class times for free seniors workout classes that would not interfere with the other ages who want to use the work out equipment, would be my suggestion. Our recreation centres are not used to their full potential. It costs a lot to run them, so why not have these used more and benefit everyone? Having free memberships and classes for those over 65 could fill in the gaps when it's not so busy at the recreation centre.

119 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Darlene shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Francine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is an excellent idea and would certainly help me attend more frequently

• Lorraine Pace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use to pay $264.00 the last year I lived in Brampton at the Chinguacousy Wellness Centre (one of the Recreation Centres in Brampton) . Excellent aerobics and I had access to all other rec. Centres in the city.
        The price got cheaper after I hit age 55 from around 350.00 then to $264.00 when I left at age 63. I use to do a class 3x a week (at 11:15 am). You can't find any classes around 11:00 am here. This was called geared to those with injuries. It was a real good work-out. I can't find a class here.
        MAYBE I AM MISSING SOMETHING BECAUSE I AM NEW TO BARRIE?
        I am still looking
        I cannot believe the price of fitness (I am talking Aerobics) .... at the YMCA a membership is $509.00 for a single 64 year old. I just want to do Aerobics.
        At the Barrie rec centres again it is close to $400.00.
        The worst part is the Instruction and the classes are not as professional the schedules are all over the place.In some cases doing it on a CEMENT FLOOR! How is that for your joints! Constant closing of facilities for cleaning. Open Fitness studios that are interrupted with the noise of machines and others working out in the same room. So forget about turning music up to motivate. Old equipment and mats. Cramped, old change rooms.
        In Barrie, my impression of Women's fitness/Aerobics (let's face it, they are the ones that usually do aerobics)... look like an afterthought here. Every facility has a hockey rink though. Forget about AEROBICS - trying to find parking (especially if you have a sports injury) because hockey is ON!
        Sorry I am disappointed with the facilities here after being a member in other facilities in The GTA for years!!!!!!!!!!!
        Still looking to find a Facility that has Professional/Safe and Motivating Aerobics for all ages and the injured (without being referred to chair exercises)

Feedback and Knowledge Base