I suggest the City ...

Allow Backyard Hens

Let's make Barrie a sustainable city by allowing backyard hens for the purpose of household egg consumption.
Many major North American cities, including Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Victoria, New York, Seattle, Chicago and Los Angeles, together with Ontario communities such as Niagara Falls, Brampton, Newmarket,
and Guelph, allow the small-scale raising of hens. Now it's Barrie's turn to join this positive and growing trend.
Hens have existed in cities since the dawn of time an
d continue to thrive in communities around the world to this day. The benefits of raising them include:

* Fresh, healthy and delicious home-grown eggs, free of pesticides and antibiotics;

* Reduced municipal solid waste as hens consume table scraps and other organic waste;

* Reduced backyard pest populations as hens consume weeds and bugs;

* Opportunities to teach children about food sources and responsible animal care; and

* The addition of great "poultry pets" to families -- hens are people-friendly, nonaggressive and always entertaining to watch.

534 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sharon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminCity of Barrie (Admin, City of Barrie) responded  · 

This suggestion has reached 500 votes! As per the forum policy, all ideas that reach 500 votes are brought forward to relevant staff. From there, staff will consider next steps, if any, as part of the review of the proposed idea. A suggestion like this one would require Council support if it were to be implemented. Any updates will be posted within this forum thread.

Full information about the meaning of forum statuses: bit.ly/1Qg9qm8

52 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread was started March 14, 2018, it has been under review with no updates since March 27, 2019. Its been over a year without any mention of it going to counsellor.
    I think contacting your local counsellor and requesting it be on the agenda ASAP is a good idea.

• Rod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s moved forward before, and the answer was no. Maybe if we email our local counselor, it may excellent the process.

• Kayla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been a decision made yet? It appears to be a yearly request?

• Sharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to see this topic go to Council before Summer 2019. I"m wondering how long it takes for the Moderator, City of Barrie to place this topic "under review" so we can move forward with this item?

• Sharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! The city needs to bring this to council preferable ASAP. Perhaps a pilot project for the spring/summer, following Orillia & Torontos lead on this. Can we get notification from The City of Barrrie - Moderator, as to when this issue will be addressed at council? Proper notification is essential so those interest may attend. Very poorly advertised last time.

• Carrie Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I like the idea of showing up when this goes to council!! Keep us posted if anyone hears a date

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like we've hit the 500 mark for having the city review this issue again. If this gets brought to a committee meeting open to the public, I would recommend people try to make it out to the meeting to express their thoughts. Back in 2016 only 2 people showed up, but I think people did not know when the meeting was being held. Here's hoping there's another chance!

• Bob Vogel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Composted chicken waste is high in nitrogen. King Cole Ducks had a secondary industry composting their duck waste which was great for lawns. Many golf course used this product.

Bob

• Julie Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hens are good for egg, waste consumption and weeding, but what do you do with them in the winter when it is very cold. Do they also not attract wildlife to your backyard?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base