Skip to content

MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.

13 results found

1. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This suggestion has not received significant activity in the past year, and is now classified as inactive. The inactive status helps keep all idea statuses as clear and timely as possible, and allows for votes to automatically be returned to users. See full information about the meaning of forum statuses.

When a snowplow turns to the right it sweeps a much larger area of the road than when it is travelling in a straight line. The snow also does not discharge from the plow when it is turning hard right because the plows are angled from left to right on the truck. Turning right effectively makes the plow push all the snow ahead instead of moving it from the center of the road to the side. Unfortunately, a fixed snowplow cannot carry snow around to put it where desired. The plow moves snow from the centre of the road…

2. Stop installing speed bumps. There are better ways

Speed bumps are a poor method of traffic control that nobody likes and I find embarrassing. Instead Barrie should be looking at creating chicanes, corner extensions, lane narrowing, median barriers, traffic islands, half closures, and raised crosswalks as a more pleasant and less ugly way to improve road safety.
    This would have the added benefit of improving cycling and pedestrian infrastructure, something Barrie forgets about the moment you step off the lakeshore.
    To keep a long list of references short here are only a few
    -NACTO publication of urban bikeway design guide
    -Traffic Calming Benefits, Costs, and Equity Impacts. (1999).…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ban Free Newspapers Being Delivered and Left On Driveways

The Barrie Advance is delivered every week to Barrie households by being left on the drive ways in a plastic bag year round. During the winter these newspapers get covered in snow if not picked up right away, and can get caught in snow blowers, possibly damaging them. The rest of the year, they are left on the drive ways and become wet and flattened by cars, eventually turning into litter on the street.

It is the year 2023, and the Barrie Advance is available online, and is updated several times a day with news. Why are we still receiving…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Swipe Card System for Waterfront Bathrooms

Many people utilize the beautiful Barrie waterfront year round. I myself am down there at least 3 or 4 times a week walking my dog. it's incredibly frustrating that the bathrooms are locked. Would the city consider putting in a paid "swipe card" system for those who wish to purchase a card for access to the bathrooms in the "off season" I myself would be more than willing to pay $20+ a month for access. The state of the bathrooms is absolutely disgusting complete with used needles etc between high season and before the bathrooms are locked for the winter.…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Cleaner Air Park Areas

I dont like how Barrie has no clean air big parks, For example in Woodbridge ont. They have Boyd Park. It is about 300 acres and it is all way below street level. So vehicle pollution is never smelled when in park. It is the cleanest spot in Woodbridge. We have no areas where you cant smell inhale Fire smoke from tons of chimneys or vehicle pollution due to lack of trees blocking or level land with road. Our Beach at the waterfront is a joke. There more pollution there than highway 400. Due to massive parking lot right next…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This suggestion has not received significant activity in the past year, and is now classified as inactive. The inactive status helps keep all idea statuses as clear and timely as possible, and allows for votes to automatically be returned to users. See full information about the meaning of forum statuses.

The City has implemented odour-control technologies that have been implemented at the Wastewater Treatment Facility. Odour is always on our radar and we are continually trying to improve by adopting new technologies. Check out the FAQs at www.barrie.ca/WastewaterTreatment for more detail.

6. Make Recycling Bags Mandatory

Every afternoon after the recycling is picked up I see small pieces of plastic, styrofoam and other small light items blowing around the neighborhood. These are seldom picked up by residents because "it isn't their garbage". If the city made it mandatory to put blue box recycling in blue translucent bags it would cut down on the amount of recycling blowing around the neighborhoods after Garbage Day.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Open at least one warming centre in Barrie now. There seemed to be only 1 member of council at yesterday's gathering.

Yesterday it appeared that only 1 member of the city of Barrie Council was listening to a crowd of people who wanted a warming centre; and another issue regarding poverty and homelessness is to ensure through laws that affordable housing is available in Barrie. Rents are out of reach for many, and purchasing is the same.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The County of Simcoe leads the system of homelessness supports and services through partnerships and funded service agreements with community-based organizations. Please visit the County's website, Homelessness Winter Response 2023-2024, for a list of ​​Simcoe County Winter Warming Centres.

The City of Barrie is updating its Affordable Housing Strategy, which will build plans for new opportunities for creating affordable housing as Barrie continues to grow. For full information please visit barrie.ca/AffordableHousing. 

8. More accessible parking at Sadlon Centre

For such a large venue, there is far from sufficient accessible parking available. Showing up 60-70 minutes prior to start of Colts game, with all spots taken, is not acceptable. With over 4000 fans there plus event staff, athletes etc, there needs to be much more available.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Barrie needs more iconic City Arts

This can be statues or other things to improve attractions to the City.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Barrie Public Art Committee works to raise the profile of public art and create a vibrant, animated city full of public art for all to enjoy. Please visit barrie.ca/PublicArt for information about works that have been commissioned, purchased by, or donated to the City to be located in publicly accessible spaces. ​

10. Make Parks with less mounds hills

Why is it they install these irritating hills everywhere. Ive seen some parks 70% area unwalkable. Barrie already has too much uneven ground. Tell me how much people use these man made hills. Too small for toboggan sledding. Cant picnic or walk on them easily. So your forcing people to use the paved walkway for there whole visit. Not a shortcut if you have to go through 3 hills. Too much work for young and old. That piece of land gets used by nobody. More reasons to not install them. So why do they? Summerset park great example. Everything is…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Increase downtown on-street parking 2-hour limit

I have the Hot Spot app on my phone, which I find very helpful, with one exception: the meter limits. I had to move my car three times yesterday while waiting at the passport office because of the meter time limits. The first meter was a 2-hour maximum, and the second meter was a 3-hour maximum.

I was at the passport office for over 6 hours yesterday and was unable to easily top up my phone outside of the above mentioned maximum times.

I think there needs to be an evaluation of the maximum meter time around this building that…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This suggestion has not received significant activity in the past year, and is now classified as inactive. The inactive status helps keep all idea statuses as clear and timely as possible, and allows for votes to automatically be returned to users. See full information about the meaning of forum statuses

Please note that off-street (lot) parking is not limited to 2 hours and costs less than on-street parking. The closest lots to the passport office on Owen Street are the library parking lot and the H-Block parking lot. Please visit www.barrie.ca/parking for full information.

12. Lower parking rates

Please consider lowering parking rates. $10 per hour seems to give the message to visitors that we don’t want them here. What about something like $3 per hour?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Could have notice boards so we can enjoy seeing upcoming events

Toronto has free standing notice boards. It would be great to have them in Barrie

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION