MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.
  1. Update accessibility in the downtown core so all citizens can enjoy them. At least 75% of stores have steps in front of or directly inside t

Update accessibility in the downtown core so all citizens can enjoy. At least 75% of the stores on main Street are inaccessible to wheelchairs due to steps before or directly inside the store. I understand there is a grandfather clause for older building but there are options to address this.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The City and the City’s Accessibility Advisory Committee (http://bit.ly/2JpH9JC) is committed to improving the accessibility of our community, including the accessibility of some of our oldest buildings. In the past, the City has provided downtown Barrie businesses with information regarding available resources for making their businesses more accessible, and we are happy to continue to do so.

Should you have additional ideas or resources to share on this matter, please reach out to the downtown BIA (https://downtownbarrie.ca/contact) or email CityClerks@barrie.ca to reach a representative of the Accessibility Advisory Committee directly.

2. create outdoor bonfires in city parks this winter to facilitate outdoor distanced visiting.

So many residents are using city parks for distanced outdoor visits. As the weather becomes colder, wouldn't it be great if the city would consider offering bonfires in a couple of parks (as it done at Snow Valley and Horseshoe Valley) so that people could continue this in spite of the increasing cold?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Raise the Flags

Time to clean up the Spirit Catcher, and raise our flags to full mast again. We have all been through a lot, there is great healing to go through, and in the spirit of strength, hope, and unity, we need to start establishing morale in our community. Sometimes, the more we draw attention to wrongs of our past, the more indefinite the division grows. It’s time to restore our horizon of positivity and light.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for participating in this forum. Your concern reached the Manager of Parks Planning directly. He has confirmed that Parks Planning and Parks & Forestry Operations staff will look at options and plan to improve this situation in the fall of 2021 or early 2022.

5. Garbage tags online

With everyone being asked to stay home it would be great if we didn’t have to go into a store to purchase garbage tags! Would love to see them available to purchase online

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Downtown parking a hazard for the disabled

Even if I park my car as close to the metal parking posts (eg. near Homestead’s Bakery), the width of the parking lane doesn’t afford me enough space to assemble or transfer into my manual wheelchair at my car door. You should see the angle I’m on, trying to safely transfer.
    I’m not sure what can be done at this point that isn’t cost prohibitive, but please do more for the disabled in any future developments please. Thank You 🙏

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Change the minimum distance for school buses.

I have to walk 2.5 km to get to high school and I don't get a school bus. I need to pay for the city bus in the winter and now it doesn't even get me close enough to be on time for class. Also why are student fares so expensive? If the city was thinking of having a city bus free for the high school student bus kids WHY WASN'T IT FREE FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ALL ALONG. peace out uwu.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Limit electric scooters/bikes to roads not sidewalks

Progressive cities are concerned that pedestrians are at risk from electric scooters/bikes travelling on sidewalks. Pedestrians walking around Kempenfelt Bay need to dodge these vehicles, some traveling at 50kph. Serious injury or death will lead to tragedy and lawsuits against the city.

The city of Paris, France, has banned these vehicles from sidewalks. They must travel on roads.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change the minimum distance for school buses.

I have to walk 2.5 km to get to high school and I don't get a school bus. I need to pay for the city bus in the winter and now it doesn't even get me close enough to be on time for class. Also why are student fares so expensive? If the city was thinking of having a city bus free for the high school student bus kids WHY WASN'T IT FREE FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ALL ALONG. peace out uwu.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. that the City investigate an alternative way of treating waste

On CBCNN on November 25, there was an article on an alternative way to handle waste. A Nova Scotia company turns trash into fuel.
    See: Sustane Technologies Inc., Chester, Nova Scotia.

We'd have to build a bigger plant but the technology would save our landfill needs.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. provide the opportunity for people to enrol in swimming lessons on the guarded beaches in the summer months.

Many other municipalities offer swimming lessons at their beach fronts during the summer months. With pools closed or limited this would be a way to provide this service to the families of barrie. Life guardes are already slated for the beaches. Lessons could be offered in the morning hours freeing the beaches up in the afternoons for swimming. This would help to ensure children are learning water safety and how to swim. The city already has qualified instructors that could provide this service and the program would either be self supporting or in fact be a revenue generator. I have…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Seagulls

There should be signs at the beaches telling people not to feed the seagulls, they swarm in droves and bother everyone.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Streetlights on Huronia rd between Mapleview and Loon Ave.

This stretch of road is narrow and wooded on either side. There is no sidewalk, only a narrow beaten path along the sloped shoulder.
    On numerous occasions driving through here at night, pedestrians walk along the road. Often people are not thinking and wear dark colours and are barely visible. This is only a matter of time before someone is hit by a vehicle here. With the development of both Mapleview and Huronia, pedestrian traffic has only been greatly increasing over the last few years.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Barrie sign made of recycled materials

After reading a post about establishing a large sign to represent the town of Barrie, I thought it would be great is it could be tastefully made out of materials that cannot be recycled. I have been stuffing plastic drink bottles with plastic wrapping that is not recyclable until no more will fit. Could these be incase in concrete as a filler and way to decrease non recyclable plastic in landfill. It could be a great starting point for residents in the town to do similar projects at home.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Create bylaw for repeat lawn maintenance violations to allow city to contract seasonal lawn care & and add cost to that property's taxes

With more of our homes being converted into investment rentals this would help reduce deterioration of our neighbourhoods by absentee landlords. In some neighbourhoods it seems every 4th lawn is overgrown and in violation of the bylaw. If such a bylaw is not possible, perhaps fines could be increased for repeat violations, especially for absentee landlords.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. North Trail needs repairs due to washed out areas

I use a hand cycle which is a three-wheel cycle. I’m also a paraplegic. I cycle the North Trail daily and I try to use the highest area of the trail to avoid the washed out areas (around any bend in the gravel trail, the inner diameter suffers the most erosion), but many oncoming walkers, families, ppl with dogs, etc take over a wide swath of the trail and are not considerate to the danger I have if forced to cycle near the erosion. I could easily fall into the lake! Please pay close attention to this. Not just for…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Your concern regarding the condition of the North Shore Trail has reached Service Barrie and a service request has been created so Operations staff can look into this. To follow up on the status, please contact Service Barrie directly at 705-726-4242 or ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca and reference SR96809.

17. Preserve the Barrie Collingwood Railway

The Meaford Subdivision and Beeton Spur, collectively known as the "Barrie-Collingwood Railway" is currently under threat of abandonment and removal. I am currently suggesting that even if rail service is suspended on the line it should be preserved for future use, weather it be freight service or passenger service. As of writing this the City of Barrie is expected to grow by over 100,000 people over the next 20-30 years, with the surrounding communities and other cities in the County of Simcoe. With this our transit and shipping needs will grow greatly which these rails and/or the corridors they currently…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change the minimum distance for school buses.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ban photo radar

Photo radar is illegal. This is because the owner of a car is not always the driver. Is the car a fleet vehicle, a lease, what if it’s an actual emergency vehicle? Photo radar cannot tell the difference. This is why it cannot go against your points or your insurance. Instead those who are wealthy will continue to ignore it while those trying to get by will be wrongfully “fined”.

It also disrupts traffic and causes a far more dangerous situation.

Photo radar cannot tell the flow of traffic. If you’re going up hill or down or how many cars…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. ban people from outside simcoe county while there area is in “red” or lockdown. Why should this area have to deal with consequences of the

It will cost this area. Ie hospital beds being full, when virus spreads exponentially We will be in lockdown for Christmas when we should be on the other side of the curve

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base