MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.

I suggest the City ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Finally get down to business to provide a safe ,designated area for dogs to swim in Lake Simcoe.

Is it necessary to get up a petition to have a designated area where dogs can swim? It is somewhat an act of cruelty to walk a dog of a breed that is bred to swim, along the waterfront.....somewhat like dangling a sweet treat in front of a child and not letting him have it! Or maybe like denying a dying person a drink of water. What is the hang up? It is not the habit of dogs to relieve themselves in the water. Any ‘doggie’ person
    knows this.
    The area could easily be policed and offending owners barred from…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Inform residents about Barrie's sidewalk policy.

Many Barrie residents believe their assessment will go up if the city builds a sidewalk in front of their property.
    Barrie's policy in the past has been to not put sidewalks where the abutting property owners don't want them. This is unfair of course as the sidewalks are for all residents, not just those who live next to them.
    The city needs to inform residents as to the policy as it now stands.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Build a sidewalk for Amelia and Dundonald Sts. (around St. Mary's)

A sidewalk is needed on the south side of Amelia St. between Duckworth and Dundonald Sts. and on the east side of Dundonald between Amelia and Theresa Sts. There is plenty of room on the boulevard (at grade), no large trees would need to be removed and it could be set well back from the road edge so as to not be buried by the road plow for five months of the year.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Provide Charge Stations for Mobile Devices

I know from personal experience how frustrating it is to be stuck and no way to charge my phone, and I need it for figuring out bus routes, emergencies, etc. For the homeless, and people that are out and about long periods of time, and don’t have a way or place to charge their devices. Establishments don’t allow you to use their outlets, even if you are a paying customer. In fact, most places don’t even have outlets anywhere to be found anymore. I think that the city should place “Charge Stations” at places such as bus stops, light rail…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pay business licence renewal fees online

Allow businesses to pay licence renewal fees online

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Implement no parking so many feet before and after bus stops

People park in front and behind too closely to the bus stops. Making the bus stop in the road way. Plows can't plow to curb. Dangerous.

No parking so many feet before and after bus stops would allow plows to do there job properly and seniors and people with disabilities to access the bus without further injury to themselves.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Companies donate to dog parks

If any companies want to place their advertisements at the dog parks, hey should have to make a minimum donation which can be used towards the park. More trees, a small play ground, etc. Recycling bins.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Lights Ellen street park

The city put a beautiful park next to 75 Ellen street, but no lighting, residents are nervous about walking there after dark, could you consider some lighting. Thank you R C Baird 75 Ellien street unit 105.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Build more splash pads across the city

Lampman Lane is currently our only option, it is great however, our city could use more. Based on population and use we are under-represented. Currently residents drive to Orillia to use their many splash pads.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Blocker arm on snow plows for residential streets.

Since we pay so much taxes how about putting a blocker arm on the snow plows so they stop screwing up our driveways and blocking us in!?

182 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Better Organize the permit/inspection process

What good is a 4 hr window if you cant get here in 72 hrs...how on gods green earth can we not schedule a date or at least make an hourly window that you as the city are capable of of gettig an inspector to attend....perfect example of Barries lack in leadership and poor organization, while extorting residents with permit fees...someone needs to lose their job.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. fines for not cleaning up garbage within 24 hours after garbage pickup

Every Monday morning I go to work and I see garbage all over the streets and garbage on peoples lawns that was not put out properly for garbage pickup. The city of Barrie is always here handing out tickets for illegal parking. I suggest that we give out small fines for not cleaning up your garbage within 24 hours after garbage pick up. This way we can only hope people will start to have respect for their properties/rental homes or the neighbours around them.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Advance Green Ferndale/Livingstone

Vehicles (specifically travelling south on Ferndale at Livingstone) are forced to only turn left on a yellow due to volume of traffic heading north on Ferndale each day. An advance green for left hand turns from both north and southbound traffic on Ferndale would alleviate this issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Crossing Guard (Mapleview & Lougheed)

Mapleview is a major street our children have to cross to access 3 schools in the surrounding subdivisions. Please put a crossing guard here during school hours in order to keep our kids safe.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Install bus stop both at 927 to shield us from snow fall and cold weather while waiting for the bus please

We are a number of Georgian college students who use this bus stop every day to go to college and other places. There is no both or shield in that bus stop.can you please install one to help us go inside of it while waiting for the bus in the winter . Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow parking on grass

I would like to be able to park on my own lawn without being told that I’m not allowed or I could be fined. There’s not enough room for multiple vehicles or for visitors to park especially over night during the winter.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. name the Harvey Road overpass after British Admiral Sir Robert Barrie

Many people do not know the history of our great city and who Barrie was named after. I think the naming of the bridge over Highway 400 could inspire citizens and visitors alike to learn more about the rich history of our city.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)