MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.
  1. No-wait time program for substance use rehabilitation

Many people are concerned about the creation of a safe consumption/safe injection site in Barrie, so have an effective alternative. Create a low-barrier residential treatment program for substance use that has NO WAIT TIMES.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enforce the no parking in front of the schools on a more regular basis

The school boards should provide a round about pickup within their parking lots to allow students a safer way of being picked up. Too many children are walking out between parked cars and into the path of oncoming traffic in order to enter their parents' vehicles on the driver's side.
    Perhaps doing away with a boulevard in front of the schools and turning into a loading zone would create a far safer environment and would also enable a better flow of traffic. This has been done in States and proven to be successful.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Close Dunlop Street during the summer early fall months | Supporting downtown business during Covid summer months

Covid 19 suggestion:
    Close Dunlop Street during the summer early fall months temporarily during Covid 19 and allow business to expand theirs patios further to meet social distancing requirements. Local Businesses should ensure that their online menus are up to date to allow customers to order, eliminating the hands on menu.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support our community

Create a list of:
    1. locally owned businesses
    2. locally manufactured/products
    3. local businesses that revest in the community or community charities

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. waterfront over crowding

just a thought ...with all the people coming up from outside of Barrie could you not call back workers that were let go due to covid and have them man the parking lots and only let Barrie resident in, or patrol the playgrounds that are being used.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Buses should be every half hour.

Buses should be every half hour or remain free until they fix this issue because there are still alot of people like myself that have to get to work. Why should we be forced to pay for Sunday service during the week? That's absolute ridiculousness

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Rollerblading path. Would be great to have a place, path, oval, park etc. Need a new paved path.

Rollerblading path. We need a nice new smooth place within the city to rollerblade. The lakeshore path is ok. But too many sections have not been maintain and are not suitable for rollerblading. Recommends include repaving the areas on the bike path that need serious maintenance (a lot) or pave the walking path from ******* to Johnson’s beach or possible circling one of the bigger parks with a paved path, like sunnidale. Thanks.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I suggest that everyone just dose their part to make living in Barrie fun again

To much judging and hate in the world everyone needs to learn how to smile again

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Use Base Borden as a testing site for Covid 19

Hello City of Barrie and Mayor’s Office:

Has any thought been given to using Base Borden as a testing site for Covid 19?

There has got to be an available facility/building/area that could be used for this purpose. Perhaps even 2 testing sites??
    I assume they have medical personnel that could be trained to do this testing.

This site is not being utilized at a time when more testing is necessary and there are simply not enough sites available.

What are the Mayor’s thoughts on this option?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. speed bumps needed

address Athabaska road, speed bumps needed

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The City launched a new interactive tool earlier this year for residents to suggest locations in Barrie where they would like to see speed cushions installed: https://bit.ly/BarrieSpeedCushions

Residents can use this application to submit a location, or “like” a location already submitted, for the City to consider putting a speed cushion in 2021. The City will collect submissions until November 13, 2020.

The submissions received from the public will be shared with Members of Council in January 2021 to help councillors decide where speed bumps should be placed in each ward in 2021.

Visit www.barrie.ca/traffic to learn more about the City’s traffic calming methods.

11. Idling

On my way between Leacock to St. Vincent I stop at 6 or 7 lights all while driving at the speed limit. When I drive in Hamilton, Ontario many traffic lights are coordinated and can greatly reduce idling at a stop light. It also makes getting from point A to point B much more pleasant while reducing carbon footprint and eliminating speeding,

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Traffic Services staff monitor all major roadways daily to minimize traffic delays and disruption, using traffic signal software, video, and GPS technology to continuously monitor signals and flow along Barrie’s major arterial and collector routes. For more information please refer to “Traffic Monitoring” at http://www.barrie.ca/traffic

12. Changing speed limit in Burton Avenu Alandale

50 kilometer per hour speed in BURTON Avenue from BAYVIEW TO ESSA ROAD way over the capacity of this road. The distance between those two light s not adequate enough for any car to reach to the speed and keep it for a reasonable distance.The result is lots of gas consomption ,break wear out and a lot of pollution, noise and ashfalt destruction and off course annoying neighborhood.
    Kindly please reconsider the situation and if you agree bring down the speed limit to 35 in order to be compatible with other roads and off course the real life.
    Regards Mohsen…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Renumber lockhart road back to the numbers Innisfil use. It is confusing delivery drivers and dangerous for first responders.

Just because your city computer system cannot handle Street numbers that are not contiguous is not a reason to make life difficult for humans.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Change the walk signal going south to the train station at the corner of Tiffin and Lakeshore.

Currently the crosswalk signal comes on after the advanced left turn. Often there are cars do not stop to let walkers go across or those that do stop jeopardize being rear ended by someone try to go through the light. I did they Can’t see the crosswalk signal clearly or they are ignoring it.This is a serious danger to pedestrians at that corner.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Expand On-Street Parking - Franks Way

I am a new homeowner here in Barrie, I now live on a relatively new street Franks Way just off of Burton in the South End. Between the stretch of 16 houses there is a small permitted area for on-street parking of 5 vehicles. Over the span of the several months living here this small area is CONSTANTLY full resulting in residents of this street and their guests parking in the "No Parking Area". Multiple neighbours have been issued tickets simply because their driveway is full and so is the very tiny area designated on the street itself.

This designated…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make Business responsible for the garbage produced by thier clients.

We need a by law that mandates garbage bins be made available for clients at all fast food and garbage creating businesses.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Covid 19 relief

The relief is good I don't know how to apply myself but that's not my point my point is that the pole that need the relief are ppl you can't phone cuz they couldn't pay there phone bill or they can't get in the library to use there computers they should have someone down town offering help to apply for the relief maybe even file the paperwork if they are not overwhelmed as they will be at the beginning the ppl that need the help are on the streets cuz they couldn't pay there rent

I hope there is something…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Annual Sunnidale Park Honey Festival

SUNNIDALE Park is Barrie’s largest part. We should have a honey festival every summer where local farmers and producers can show off how they make honey and sell their products locally. It also shows support for bumblebees, who are endangered, and who are vital to our ecological balance.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Better signs for no parking if not barrie resident

The parking lot at Centennial beach/park that is only for barrie residents should have clear signage that indicate that if you are not a barrie resident you will be ticketed. The day I visited I could see that the parking meters were covered I therefore assumed that parking was free as it was a holiday and there where no other signs. Even when I walked up to the meter the front of the meter had not signs. When I got back to my car I had a ticket. Parking restrictions should be clearly indicated with signes. When I when back…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: A staff report regarding a city-wide pickleball strategy is no longer expected to go to City Council in the near future. Strabane Park is identified as a potential location for conversion to a pickleball court, and through discussions with the Barrie Pickleball Association it is forecasted for 2023. A public meeting would likely be held at a future date to seek input into the conversion from a tennis court.

• Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base