MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.

I suggest the City ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Start volunteer programs to take seniors out to city events

So many seniors are alone, so many events are happening in our beautiful city. Why not organize outings with those who can't make it out on their own. Maybe a bus could pick them up and volunteers can help with this and getting them back home.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow residential pass parking at the marina parking lot for the winter months or atleast during winterfest.

The marina is closed during winter months and the parking lot sits empty. It should be open to residential passes at this time. It is hard for young children and seniors to get around during these snowbound times.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fishing Pier complete with fish attracting habitat/structure off of Heritage Park in line with Mulcaster street

A fishing pier similar to those found throughout Florida. Artificial fish habitat/structure beneath the pier would greatly benefit the native fish population.
    This would be a fantastic attraction for fishermen, tourists, birders, photograpers and all people who enjoy Lake Simcoe. This would be unique to the City of Barrie and would add to the already world class waterfront.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Advance Green Bayfield - weekends

Enable advance greens for turning left across Bayfield on weekends. Coulter & Ferris Lane have advance green lights, but it’s 5:45 on Saturday, traffic is lined up in both directions (no breaks to cross during the green), the left turn lanes have 5+ cars, and the advance green is not triggering. Frustrating, and causing additional delays, as only one-two cars are getting through per cycle.
    A simple change to drastically reduce frustration and ease traffic on Bayfield!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Have a centre median or guardrail on Fairview road

Travelling this road daily in the winter, the combination of a steep hill and sharp curves make this a dangerous road for headon collisions. Adding the new emergency campus/buildings will add more vehicles and emergency vehicles travelling at high speeds. I’m not an engineer but feel this road could be made safer

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. stop allowing fireworks before holiday

The current bylaw of allowing the setting off of fireworks I believe 5 days before a holiday and the day of needs to end. I do understand that yes it is fun for some to watch them go off but they forget about the people around them. A lot of them don't follow safety when doing this. Several times I have had neighbours set them off in their backyard or the middle of our street. We are a subdivision, the houses are close and people park on the street. Then the garbage that is left on other people's properties is…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make bills available online via epost

A large number of other Ontario municipalities (Toronto, Ottawa, Waterloo, Thunder Bay, etc) allow their residents to receive their water and tax bills online via Canada Post's online 'epost' service. The City of Barrie should do the same.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. have a New Year's Levee for the new City Council

Barrie citizens should be given a chance to meet the new Barrie Council. A community skate at City Hall during the Farmer's Market, meet and greet with treats would help build community. People need a chance to get to know the new faces who represent our city.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Digital Calendar

An ics or ical filetype that we can subscribe to digitally with our CalDav to stay up to date on various Barrie events

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Have a link in pingstreet for walking trails in the city

It would be nice for people who live here and visit us to be able to download the app and be able to see where all of our beautiful walking trails are located throughout our wonderful city.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allocate resources to Keep the downtown core clean

The downtown core, especially Dunlop street, has a lot to offer visitors but the sidewalks and gutters are consistently covered in dirt, cigarette butts, and garbage. It does not make it a desirable place to walk, to shop or to eat. If we cannot train people to pick up after themselves then we need a regular street cleaning service to keep the street clean and attractive. The core is the heartbeat of this city. If it looks like **** it is a poor reflection on this city.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Establish resident only parking spots in boat launch areas.

On a summer weekend I, a resident of Barrie, often cannot launch my boat because all the parking spots are taken by visitors. I understand money is important to the city, but I pay my taxes here and should be able to launch my boat anytime. Innisfil has done it. Also the price of launching a boat and parking for a day is 45$. That frees up some parking spots as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Reduce police budget please, its way to big a chunk of my taxes

Reduce the budget for policing by a fair margin. Too much of the city's budget goes to policing. The police are taking more from Barrie residents in the form of tickets to recoup their own super high costs for the city which further hurts the people. Do a review and adjust please! Crime/domestics do not justify the huge chunk of where our taxes go. Also in this come up with a strategy to clean up downtown from all the shady people hanging out there, i'm sure other towns have done something about this not just policing.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Restrict parking to ONE side of residential streets

This has been posted before but should be reviewed again. Vehicles parked on both sides obstructs traffic flow and creates unnecessary hazards in many neighbourhoods.

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    gathering feedback  ·  24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Put a barrier Owen street

I think their needs to be a barrier made at the bottom of owen st to protect are war memorial.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Participate in the Waze Connected Citizens Program!

Toronto and Montreal have both become smart cities by signing up for the free Waze Connected Citizens Program. The program would benefit Barrie drivers and city planners at absolutely no cost whatsoever.

Example 1:
    City planners will know where potholes, roadkill, icy roads, debris, and other hazards are frequently reported. City workers can fix problems faster. This benefits drivers (even non-waze drivers) by keeping them safe and reducing possible costs associated with road hazards.

2. Waze users and website visitors will be redirected around road closures when reported by the city. In most cases, this can be connected to existing…

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    gathering feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Not do road work past the noise bylaw

Maybe the city of Barrie could avoid doing road work that is unnecessary past the NOISE bylaw that the city itself enforces (poorly)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Sidewalk snow removal

Put sidewalk East side of Royal Parkside Drive and Sandringham on the primary list of snow removal. Today it still is not done.

This sidewalk is heavily travelled by school children walking to the Hewitt Creek Secondary School

Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Offer FREE membership for Seniors over 65 at Barrie Recreation Centres

Offering free memberships to seniors over the age of 65 at all Barrie Recreation Centres would encourage them to be more physically and mentally active which would in turn improve their health. This would help reduce doctor visit, hospital visits, combat obesity rates, reduce diabetes, and have an overall improvement in the lives of seniors who may feel isolated. So many seniors are on a fixed income and cannot afford to pay the membership fees every year. If they had a place to go associate with other seniors that was free, they would get out more to exercise and have…

168 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Snow plow direction on courts.

Snow plows proceed in a clockwise direction when plowing courts as to push snow away from driveways and towards centre of court.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION

Feedback and Knowledge Base