MAKE A SUGGESTION

We want to hear from you.

We’re sure that Barrie residents have many great ideas for their City. This is the best place to express and share those ideas with your community. Let’s get the conversations started!

HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1 Enter your idea below and check to see if your suggestion has already been made; if it has, give it your vote and/or comment.
Step 2 If your suggestion has not already been added to this forum, post it!
Step 3 Once a suggestion reaches 500 votes, it will be noted as Under Review.
  1. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A staff memo from the Engineering Department was circulated to City Council (General Committee) on January 7, 2019. The memo was in response to two suggestions previously received on this forum: “Make Johnsons Beach a DOG FRIENDLY BEACH PARK” and “Open a waterfront dog park”. Please refer to the full memo: https://bit.ly/3129NN9 .

In short, “as per the recommendations of the 2013 Barrie Waterfront and Marina Strategic Plan, when the Gables 2008 Master Plan is updated, staff will revisit whether this park is a viable location for a dog water access beach.” An update to the Gables Master Plan is forecast for 2024.

2. Streetlights on Huronia rd between Mapleview and Loon Ave.

This stretch of road is narrow and wooded on either side. There is no sidewalk, only a narrow beaten path along the sloped shoulder.
    On numerous occasions driving through here at night, pedestrians walk along the road. Often people are not thinking and wear dark colours and are barely visible. This is only a matter of time before someone is hit by a vehicle here. With the development of both Mapleview and Huronia, pedestrian traffic has only been greatly increasing over the last few years.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Preserve the Barrie Collingwood Railway

The Meaford Subdivision and Beeton Spur, collectively known as the "Barrie-Collingwood Railway" is currently under threat of abandonment and removal. I am currently suggesting that even if rail service is suspended on the line it should be preserved for future use, weather it be freight service or passenger service. As of writing this the City of Barrie is expected to grow by over 100,000 people over the next 20-30 years, with the surrounding communities and other cities in the County of Simcoe. With this our transit and shipping needs will grow greatly which these rails and/or the corridors they currently…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Diversity

On Barrie.ca website, click on Living. On the photo carousel the second photo shows 4 kids that I am sure makes a lot of Barrie's residents feel like they don't belong here. Please show diversity in the photos that you use on barrie.ca. If every one in Barrie was white-skin with blue-eyes maybe it would have been fine to see just that in the photos of our city's website. But that's not the case anymore. Barrie is a lot more diverse now.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Consider using covered carts (similar to those that the County is currently rolling out) for garbage and recycling).

The current blue/grey bins frequently blow around in the wind causing recycling to be scattered across yards and streets. The wheeled carts are also easier to move for both residents and collection staff.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Prioritize Walkability Along Bradford Street

As new developments sprout up along Bradford street, we have the opportunity to grow downtown and to encourage the kind of diversity and inclusivity that Barrie is so proud of.
    By requiring developers to create live edges along the street, with small-scale retail, and priority for pedestians and cyclists we can create room for small businesses to flourish and ensure that the people who live in the surrounding communities are included in barries future prosperity.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The City is embarking on planning for our future and creating a new Official Plan in Barrie. The updated Official Plan will improve our city by embracing leading practices, forward-thinking approaches and community priorities. The key themes of Barrie’s New Official Plan are:

• Urban & Complete City
    • Attractive City
    • Connected & Mobile City
    • Waterfront & Green City
    • Resilient City
    • Prosperous City
    • Cultural City

This week, the City released draft two of the City’s new Official Plan is welcoming public feedback and engagement over the next month.

Please review draft Official Plan to see if the policy structure matches your vision for Barrie, and consider participating in the May 19th Open House and/or the June 2nd Public Meeting.

Details: https://bit.ly/3uw6mKM

7. Stop signs at the intersection of Madelaine and Country Lane

People speed down Madelaine and there are multiple schools in the area. This is a subdivision filled with small children and families. Someone will die if no action is taken, and it will be your fault as it's your ward and this is not the first time you've been contacted about this.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Install pickle ball nets asap!

We need outdoor exercise in Covid so having more pickle ball courts and installing nets earlier than normal would be great.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Build a makerspace

We need creative outlets like woodworking and craft design. Learning and sharing ideas with each other in a space that allows for individual activity (1 person at each space is great social distancing). Space to try new things, or explore new technologies. Toronto has them, Hamilton has them

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Slow internet needs attention!

Please improve the poor internet service within Barrie.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Clear the snow around the bike racks

I live in Barrie, and currently don't own a car, so my main forms of transportation are walking and biking. I used to do this during spring, summer, and fall, and primarily take the bus in the winter, but with the cutbacks to Barrie Transit, I've been continuing to ride my bike this winter, and I've noticed others doing the same. I really appreciate that there are plenty of bike racks around Barrie, so that cyclists can feel safe locking their bikes before going into stores, et cetera, but most of these bike racks are buried in snow in the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Increase the frequency on Barrie Transit’s Route 2

The city has recently brought back the regular service of the Barrie Transit routes 1, 6, 8, and 100. However, they failed to see one bus that is either always busy, or is always late. 2B is late to the bus terminal almost every single day from 12pm- 5pm. I have to leave my house 30 minutes earlier to take another bus because I know if I try to take the 2B to work, I will be late. Also, it doesn’t help that once the bus reaches the terminal, even if it’s 20 minutes late, the bus driver still needs…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indoor Skatepark in The Maple Grove area

The kids in our area are growing up and the parks are boring to them. This school year we have seen school class broken windows. The school board has put up video cameras to try to catch them on camera. Let's try to keep these bored kids out of the criminal system and give them a chance to change. An indoor skatepark and if kids can't afford it, they can work for the their membership.
    JN

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. that the City investigate an alternative way of treating waste

On CBCNN on November 25, there was an article on an alternative way to handle waste. A Nova Scotia company turns trash into fuel.
    See: Sustane Technologies Inc., Chester, Nova Scotia.

We'd have to build a bigger plant but the technology would save our landfill needs.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Outdoor washrooms in the winter

With Covid continuing, my friends and I want to meet outdoors throughout the winter. The one thing holding us back is the lack of washroom access in parks in winter. Even port-a-potties would be great! Please consider providing access to public outdoor washrooms so we can do our part to reduce the Covid curve in our area! Thanks!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for participating in the City’s suggestion forum. Please note the washrooms that currently remain open year-round:

The heated FAMILY washrooms at the Centennial Park building are open daily, 8am–5pm.

Southshore Community Centre’s externally-accessible heated washroom (near Allandale Station Park and Military Heritage Park) is open daily, 8am–5pm.

Hope this information is helpful!

www.barrie.ca/parks

16. Advertisement on Red signal

Hello, Barrie.
    I think, it would be great if city of Barrie place a big LED screen on busy traffic intersection, to show small commercials could make good amount of money for municipality, to promote the various business sectors.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Proof of address required for use of City recreational areas.

I believe we have been having far too many visitors from Toronto and York Region making use of Barrie's outdoor recreational facilities.

Aa a resident, I have avoided many of these locations due to overcrowding.

Should Barrie residents who are not sick be forced to self isolate in order to allow out of towners to monopolize OUR amenities???

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Recreational Trail - Barrie Collingwood Railway

Repurpose the old tracks that are costing taxpayers money into a recreational trail that can run from Barrie and Collingwood connecting two of the best lifestyle cities. The trail can be for walking/running, biking and snowmobiling. It’s not feasible to keep these tracks operational unless the small amount of business’ using them contribute to the running costs. Transit is already being looked after through existing future projects so a recreational trail here would be the best option. There aren’t enough tourists/commuters going from Barrie to Collingwood to justify transit implementation.

Recreational trail would be the best thing for our city!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. mayor should have tik tok

Hi i just fwink it wud be willy cool if the mayor had a tik tok or youtube or somefwing idk. He could do wike charlie d'ammelio dances and 100 degree knwife challenge to coneect to the kids betteh and make him look less dead inside...idk...just a suggestion uwu

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Change the minimum distance for school buses.

I have to walk 2.5 km to get to high school and I don't get a school bus. I need to pay for the city bus in the winter and now it doesn't even get me close enough to be on time for class. Also why are student fares so expensive? If the city was thinking of having a city bus free for the high school student bus kids WHY WASN'T IT FREE FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ALL ALONG. peace out uwu.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

MAKE A SUGGESTION

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base