I suggest the City ...

Eliminate buttons at traffic lights. Instead always have the 'walk' signal come on with the green light. this is much safer for pedestrians.

Eliminate buttons at traffic lights. Instead, have the 'walk' signal come on each time the light turns green. This would be much safer for pedestrians. So often I get to the light just before it turns green and press the button, but the 'walk' signal doesn't come on. I cross on the green light, but have had drivers yell at me that I should not be crossing. Also, the buttons are in inconvenient locations and I don't want to touch them as they are really dirty. Just have the 'walk' signal come on each time the light turns green. There are many pedestrians in Barrie, and this would improve safety.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Joan Patton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a dumb idea at all. GREAT IDEA!!! I've seen students (new to Barrie) heading up to Georgian College stand though 2-3 lights . They won't cross at all until they see the proper sign. That total area is a race track to a lot of people., It's not a matter of laziness, it just a matter that no one has told them. I used to walk to work and assumed that the walk signal would come on. I did learn from this. Push the signal on the next walk then proceeded to walk across I almost got hit by a person making a right hand turn on red at Wellington St. They did look left but didn't look my way....crossing. There is no drivers life on the line. I find today most drivers (I do drive) are in so much of a hurry to get no where fast only to hurry up and stop.. Only gridlock that will happen is when that driver hits that pedestrian. And I totally agree that the person(s) with disabilities should be considered above all.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a dumb idea. How lazy are you for not pushing a button. Maybe if you follow directions and not break the law drivers won’t yell at you. You’re putting the drivers life on the line for your selfish stupidity. Not to mention the gridlock this will cause

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about people with disabilities? The buttons are also there for them. If someone is blind they hold down the button and it makes a noise to allow them to know when to cross. Your suggestion would make the city far less accessible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base