I suggest the City ...

Art Centre for at risk youth: Mzfadz Art Centre

Barrie is a beautiful, creative and developing city. The City of Barrie is very family and community oriented. With beautiful scenery, this city is filled with artistic and creative potential. Opening an organization that will further develop the community through helping at risk youth and families by providing a creative platform, will not only have a positive impact on the community but also the future itself!

According to the Barrie Homeless Hub there was estimated 7500+ homeless people in Barrie in 2011. This number has not decreased much over the last 7 years . Youth Haven serves about 200 homeless youth a year, this to me is far too many.

Our organization provides at risk youth free music, fashion, art and dance classes. We also provide opportunities and professional development for youth in the arts. We provide a creative platform for youth who " don't have a chance" a chance. We believe every youth has creative potential, and that ALL youth should be given a chance to showcase this. We believe in helping others and installing inspiration and faith into the community. Currently Barrie is facing a problem (at risk/homeless youth) and I have a solution that not only will decrease the homeless rate, remove youth off the streets but will also provide job opportunities to the community and surrounding areas.

We are a family and school resource, a non-profit organization that has fundraising and charity organization potential, we are a tool for youth who struggle with mental health, behavioral problems or who may be involved in the Youth Criminal Justice Act. We are a safe-haven for families, an outlook for youth and resource for sole-parent families.

There are many run down, forclosed, or for lease spaces downtown that could be renovated into a modern and fresh art studio! Our vision is to have a studio fully equipped with music, fashion, art and dance supplies and equipment. Our mission is to become a professional, diverse organization that is new, refreshing, inspiring and resourceful that provides an outlook and tool for youth and families who may be struggling. We are that placr where the door is always open for anyone, where youth can be creative, innovative, real and unique while providing a safe space to be your creative self!

Vote for a Non-profit Art Centre for At risk youth to follow my dreams of changing the world and making a difference one creative youth at a time!

141 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Creative Economy staff have reached out to discuss next steps for MzFadz in order to get the organization where it needs to be to be eligible for City of Barrie cultural grants.

The City’s Cultural Grants Program provides ongoing support to not-for-profit arts organizations in Barrie through two types of grants: Operating and Project. The Cultural Grant Guidelines are available for download at www.barrie.ca/CulturalGrants.

Information about the meaning of forum statuses: http://bit.ly/1Qg9qm8

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jonathan s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like MzFadz Art Centre to recieve this grant based on the fact that this is really really great for children . The out reach is great and really supportive . It combines different ethnic groups within the City and is great for community support. The teaching is just great as well

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mzfadz Art Centre is seeking a chance to be eligible for a non profit grant through the City of Barrie. Access to spaces such as five points theatre, barrie public library, city hall etc to teach free / affordable art classes. Potential opportunities to lease out a space within the City of Barrie to own and operate a full time drop-in based Art Centre for at risk youth under a non-profit organization business.
    Assistance in organizing and running crowd funding events, fundraisers, concerts, fashion shows etc. to allow the community to get involved within the business. Collaborate with other local business such as the food bank, youth haven, Children and Women's shelter etc.

• AdminCity of Barrie (Moderator, City of Barrie) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please confirm specifically what support you are seeking from the City of Barrie so the suggestion is clear to all, and any next steps for consideration would be straightforward should the suggestion be classified as "Under Review" (see meaning of statuses: http://bit.ly/1Qg9qm8 / all forum FAQs: http://bit.ly/COB-forum-FAQs).

Please note that the City's Cultural Grants Program provides ongoing support to not-for-profit arts organizations in Barrie through two types of grants: Operating and Project. The Cultural Grant Guidelines are available for download at www.barrie.ca/CulturalGrants.

The organization that I am representing is called Mzfadz Art Centre

Mzfadz Art Centre is currently in the idea stage. With more media coverage, fundraising events, networking, government grants etc I am aiming to establish this business as a non profit organization by 2020.

Feedback and Knowledge Base