I suggest the City ...

Come up with a viable idea to clean up the downtown of vagrants and drug users.

Move services these individuals require away from the downtown and to a localized spot in a less congested area. Thus they can still receive the help they need, while making the downtown area less desirable to “hang around” for transients. I Know this will offend some people and I understand that, as poverty and addictions are a hard cycle to break, but we need to revitalize downtown and draw more people to do business here. And to the people whom are angry at my comments, I ask, “are we to wait till it gets so bad that downtown businesses go bankrupt and those workers are also out of work and impoverished ?” As of late, I am minimizing my time downtown with my son as today I had to walk past numerous empty liquor bottles, garbage, to piles of vomit and a pile of human faeces to get a coffee!

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This suggestion is now classified as “Gathering Feedback” as interest has been demonstrated. Learn more about ideas’ statuses on this forum: http://bit.ly/1Qg9qm8

Homelessness and drug-use are both complex, ongoing issues that face many urban centres throughout Canada. Unfortunately, there isn’t a simple solution. The downtown core is policed by Barrie Police Community Response Unit (CRU), a team that specifically patrols the downtown and surrounding area. It is a collaborative effort between the City’s Enforcement Services and the County of Simcoe to ensure the safety for all who choose to visit and/or live in the downtown core.

In the event you see any illegal activity please contact the Barrie Police Service at 705-725-7025 or remain anonymous by contacting Crime Stoppers at 1-888-222-TIPS (8477).

When a suggestion on this forum reaches 500 votes, it is noted as “Under Review” and a memo is drafted for City Council. Learn more: http://bit.ly/1RNKheK

For more FAQs regarding the Make a Suggestion forum: http://bit.ly/COB-forum-FAQs

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

20 years ago Barrie WAS a beautiful place to live! With all the rejuvenation and money spent to revitalize the downtown core it is more ugly than ever! Barrie’s dirty little secret is no longer a secret! Any tax paying citizen in this city does not feel safe when homeless couples are having *** in the public washrooms and peeing on park trees! Way to go City of Barrie elected officials! Glad you are leading the way to clean up the mess that you allowed and watched happen on your watch! Looking forward to the next downtown festival since the circus is already in town! Getting these people off the street and giving them the services and help they need is far more humane than leaving them abandoned on the street. Taxpayers, citizens and businesses deserve more from our elected officials and deserve to feel safe to work, play, and live in a safe community! Make Barrie Beautiful Again!

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The homeless in Barrie basically have a union run by some woman that just got out of prison. Seriously your telling me you cant find a job well you sit at the **** corner 6 days a week from 8am - 5pm... seriously?!?!?!? I see these guys taking cans all over, chatting on their cellphones and meeting uo at Arbys for lunch. They are living as parasites off the sweat of people who get off their *** each day and go to work...whatever the job is to earn a living and join the rest of society in contributing to taxes. Anyone pan handling should be jailed until we have enough to fill a plane and fly them up to Nunavut or NWT to work on roads. We need more workers up there.

• Jason Chobotiuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the city administration is struggling with this as much as the residents. More police would definitely help but more to clear out the ******* and drug dealers. The homeless are truly a struggle. It’s very sad as there really are limited options for them. A good portion suffer from mental illness. Police are limited here. The homeless are in a revolving trap that can evolve into drug use, addiction and on it goes. The city I hope is doing a deep dive into a fix. We are not the only city to deal with this. There must be success stories out there.

No comments from the city of Barrie yet about this idea? Does the city even monitor this comment section? Perhaps the city should respond to tax payers queries on this site, or give an idea on what policy they may be enacting to solve this an any issue brought up.

Cant support downtown business if it's too scary to get out of the truck, and it is. The walking dead zombies will try to get In if you are too slow to lock your doors.

The tax payers off Barrie cannot even enter their own downtown area especially dunlop street without risking their safety, it has become a disgusting haven for the scum of the earth. Criminals and drug addicts have a playground called downtown Barrie. Sometimes there is zero police presence and I can't blame them for avoiding these diseased walking dead people.

Parking is what discourages me from downtown. Recently I thought I was parking in a plaza, was in 10 minutes or so and found a parking ticket on my windshield. I didn't even realize there was fee for parking there. Grrrrr.

How about actually allowing free parking and allowing growth in these areas. It doesn’t help when council and mayor stifle buisness downtown because of greed. With nothing but head shops and night clubs left of corse this is what is left.

The BPD are useless. They won’t even charge Patrick Brown good luck with them going after any criminal element. They like to hide in their cars and collect taxes for the rich

I agree, though I admit it is a sensitive subject. It doesn't help that Social Services and group homes are in the downtown area. In terms of a police presence, there should be more foot patrol as much of the drug activity can't be seen from a squad car. In my many years in downtown Toronto, we often saw bike, foot and horse patrol around small parks and in areas with group homes. They were a welcome and friendly presence. So far, I haven't seen much of that in downtown Barrie, though I could be wrong.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree very much with this. I support you. I just moved to Barrie and as I sp3nd more time out and about I am disgusted by some of these losers loitering around the downtown and 400 offramps. What laws can be enforced to get these people to get away from our public areas. I am a young guy too who loves partying and being a sht disturber and even I am shocked that these people are just doing these things out in the open and around children. Most worrisome to me was the day I was at the lake front and saw 2 homeless idiots smoking opium or meth about 10 ft away from a father fishing with his children. I notice I never see cops just walking the beat on the street downtown. These are major issues. We need to make Barrie into a model city for Canada. Especially when it has SOOOOO much potential to be one.

• Storm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Do something, ie more policing. I avoid downtown and won't take the kids through there or use the park.

No it was not ******* me, however, when I saw some homeless couple injecting drugs into their arm in a kids playground last summer and my son was there I found that hard. I don’t rent I am a tax payer of the city of Barrie and Like to enjoy the services and downtown I help pay for maintaining. This forum is for constructive comments. Please express your sarcasm for twitter. Unless you have a better idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base