I suggest the City ...

I believe the empty land on Essa Road, the site if the old racetrack, be considered for the stadium

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cheryl Lawson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please be reminded that the the deadline to apply for appointment to the new Sports Events/Facilities Advisory Committee is Thursday, March 29, 2018.

At City Council’s March 5th meeting, the terms of reference for this committee were approved by Council. One of the committee’s mandates is to consider new competitive, elite facilities, along with new major sports events and tournaments. The advisory committee will be comprised of two members of City Council (Councillors Mike McCann and Doug Shipley) and five Barrie citizens with a background in sports and/or tourism. Tourism Barrie will be asked to participate in the advisory committee’s meetings.

Please visit www.barrie.ca/CommitteeVacancies for the full notice and application details.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rob Hodgson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was at a town hall meeting over this, attend your area town hall meetings. I suggested this but the land is private and at a suggested price of $1 million an acre it won't be considered. Someone is pushing for it to be put along the lake but there is not sufficient area for parking and would spoil the area. The next best area IMO would have been where they are putting the new police/fire/emt Station on Fairview. I would suggest then in an area near business park near Veterans and Salem Rd, behind the industrial units there now.

• Sandra Orr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great spot for a stadium, easy access from highway, not surrounded by residential area. Previous life as a sports facility. Do not put any stadium on the Southshore.

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree with this suggestion to ise the old race track land. Lots of land. Hotel accomodation close by. Fast food eatery places.
        The congestion at the waterfront would bea nightmare.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems rediculous to have a stadium on the water front. This land should be preserved.

Please DO NOT put a stadium on the waterfront. Until now Barrie has done a great job of preserving the waterfront for public use, and this has to be one of the best attractions for the city. People enjoying a stadium event do not need, or care about a waterfront view. A stadium would prevent others from enjoying the waterfront view.

Stadium in Barrie is fine, however, it should not be on Publically accessible waterfront lands. Barrie's gem is its waterfront and the Stadium would take away the beauty and charm of it's publically accessible waterfront. The City of Barrie should find other lands in their ownership other than the waterfront lands.

This to me is a much more appropriate location for a baseball stadium in the CIty of Barrie. Vacant lands, adjacent higher order transit and on a bus route and main street. Visible from the highway and appropriate adjacent land uses.

Feedback and Knowledge Base