I suggest the City ...

Replace the current recycling bins with bigger bins with lids.

Replace the current recycling bins with bigger bins with lids.
Agree that the current system is counterproductive whena little bit of wind causes litter to blow around the neighbourhood. Most days we spend time searching for our bins, garbage lids and cleaning up what garbage has blown into our yard. Also, the amount of garage space that is taken up with blue bins, grey bins, green bin and a garbage can, leaving little space to park our vehicle. Make it easier for residents to recycle and keep the waste out of the landfill and out of our neighbor hoods we work hard to keep clean.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    inactive  ·  AdminCity of Barrie (Moderator, City of Barrie) responded  · 

This suggestion has not received significant activity (generally measured as 50 voters or 10 comments) in one year and is now classified as inactive. The inactive status helps keep all idea statuses as clear and timely as possible, and allows for votes to automatically be returned to users. Full information about the meaning of forum statuses: http://bit.ly/1Qg9qm8

Programs that provide cart-style recycling bins must employ an automated collection vehicle. The City’s current collection contract is based on a manual collection service; anything with a capacity greater than 125 litres and/or weight greater than 45 lbs is not safe for a manual lift by the collectors.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Year after year, the energy spent to properly dispose of all recyclable materials gets completely lost on the current system whereby the containers are too small and unlidded, our weather is getting more extreme, windier days which in turn empties these bins all over the streets. The collectors also are not the most diligent in ensuring that pieces do not fall from truck or bins. Residents are not diligent in picking up any strewn debris from their boulevards or own yards. We may as well take half of contents of our bins each week and dump it on the street because that is literally what happens. Businesses do not comply with times/days/wrapping of recycling materials, exasperating the problem.This could change with the implementing of new collection process with better equipped trucks and lidded bins for all residents. I feel I pay high enough taxes to not have to get in the ditches and clean up garbage twice a year in my community so as not to feel like I live in a waste land.

• Mary Whittaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea.

How much would it cost to switch to the larger, wheeled bins? Could it save us money? It looks like the bins might belong to a more automated collection system.

As long as they have large wheels for snow, these might be easier for people to manage than carrying multiple bins.

Garbage days do seem to be the windiest days! I know our yard ends up covered in recycling most garbage days.

• MarinaJohnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to do something about recycling flying down the road during windy/bad weather. Sometimes the bins themselves blow down the road. Rather than being environmentally friendly the current system is causing garbage blowing around the neighborhood

• Rod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! It is always windiest on garbage day, we should use the wheeled bins like toronto.

Feedback and Knowledge Base